Main Loch Report

How are Magiscroft waters fishing? Find out here with updates from anglers. Post here to tell us how you got on !

Re: Main Loch Report

Postby GERRY SMITH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Nice net of fish. :clap
Wisdom is knowing when to speak,and when not to speak.Please give me wisdom.
GERRY SMITH
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 pm

was at magiscroft today and had my best fishing ever on the main loch, never done anywhere near as well before on it you'd have thought i actually knew what i was doing. i arrived at 4pm and thought the conditions looked pretty poor, i wasn't expecting much to be honest so left my keepnet in the car, what a huge mistake that was!! i caught at least 70lb of carp perhaps much more, 23 fish with the smallest around 1.5lb and the biggest i'd say around 8-9lb,most of them were what are considered 'lumps' up there it was a real red letter day for me. strange thing was the conditions really did seem poor for it it certainly wasn't warm and the rain kept coming on and off but the fish just kept biting from start to finish and i only lost the one fish (which of course felt like a monster lol honestly). the camera i was using ran out of battery around 6pm although i fished on till 8:30pm so here's the first lot of fish anyway all caught in the first 2 hours. i really hope i have more times like that up there it was fantastic and what a fight off each and every fish!!
Attachments
P4230176.jpg
P4230175.jpg
P4230174.jpg
P4230173.jpg
P4230172.jpg
P4230171.jpg
P4230170.jpg
P4230169.jpg
P4230168.jpg
P4230167-resize1.jpg
P4230166.jpg
P4230165.jpg
P4230163.jpg
P4230162.jpg
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:55 pm

got the bug again was back on the main loch on sunday from 4pm till 8pm with my mate, conditions were mince but we managed to get 3 nice carp each and my mate got a nice mirror (again!!) (i'm still waiting on my first mirror), my mate has the photos on his phone he might post them soon once he joins the forum?
then i was back myself tonight again on the main loch conditions were still mince much the same as sunday, started off slow then picked up a bit, lost a right good few fish but managed to catch around ten or so small f1s from about 1-2.5lb and my first ever bream which was over 1lb. was my first time ever using a keepnet after seriously regretting not using one last tuesday and staff memebr Iain was nice enough to come down and weigh my net 16.5lb and take a photo for me :thumb as always enjoyed my fishing up the croft :thumb
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... ril002.jpg
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm

yep addicted for sure!! back once again today on the main loch, same number of fish as yesterday (should have been much more kept losing them) but a bit more weight about them. a couple of commons this time too and a pretty decent bream. nothing weighed just guessing.....
my keepnet http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft001.jpg
all the f1s http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft008.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft007.jpg
the biggest f1 3lbish http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft010.jpg
common 3-4lb http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft005.jpg
common 4-5lb http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft006.jpg
the bream ?lb http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i34 ... oft002.jpg
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby andy prentice » Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Excellent mate and hope you catch your mirror soon :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm

i nearly did today m8 :wall a good one too dropped off just before the net i was gutted, i'm cursed with the mirrors lol
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue May 08, 2012 10:28 pm

i was back on the main loch again tonight for a couple of hours, no photos and didn't use a keepnet but got a couple of bream about 2lb each, a very small common lucky if it was 1lb, afew wee f1s and an f1 about 4lbish, was gonna stay right till the death but the guys 2 pegs down from me(gap of 1 peg) decided to throw absolutely tons of bait into the water, just the one guy closest to me actually maybe mid 40's-early50's with specs and a rimmed hat and dark hair, i'm talking about 15kilo of crap spread out all in front of him started off with 2 huge tins of sweetcorn then proceeded to throw out a whole big bucketfull of god knows what homemade grounbait with tins of tuna the lot then loads and loads of what had to be boilies big round balls that were pink and when he was done with those the same in yellow coloured ones went in. even my fishing 2 pegs up slowed right down after this had been getting indications constantly and takes regularly but only managed one more fish then jacked it in. the fish will either avoid that area completely or have a feast through the night when it's dark either way has got to be detriMENTAL to the fishing. planning on returning tomorrow anyway for a longer session at least i know that guy won't be there
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Tommy L » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Was going to fish all day today along with my grandson Scott. Had a long lie and then the rain came on. We gave it a miss till the sun came out just after 5pm. Decided to go with top 5s and have a stalking session round the Island Pond. I started out on peg 26 fishing the right margin fishing paste as I could see signs of the Tench feeding close in. I had 3 tench out that margin weighing 3Lb, 2Lb and 1.25Lbs along with a few small carp.

Scott fished Peg 16 to start with and had a few Carp the biggest being 4Lb prior to joing me fishing peg 27 where he also had a 3Lb tench out the margin falling to paste. Scott then moved onto the Main Loch and had 5 Carp in 10 mins all 3Lb plus from peg 50 on paste. I joined him on that peg and had half a dozen carp in the 3 to 4lb bracket fishing a top 4 all on paste. At 8pm the sun went of the Cafe bank and it turned real cold quickly so it was a case of just walking up heartbreak hill with minimal gear and off to Heathers for dinner. A great few hours fishing at the best time of day.

Tommy Lauriston
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 pm

good stuff Tommy great report, i could see you both down in the corner but obvioulsy couldn't tell who it was as i was as far opposite as is possible lol. i forgot to say one of the guys that were near me (not the plonker who threw all the bait in but his pal on peg 22) caught a ghost carp and weighed it 5lb13oz, i told them it was a ghost carp but they didn't take in what i said 'no it's a common' the guys pal replied, clueless they must have been it was ghostie for sure very very pale with an orange tail fin i've at least seen enough commons to know the difference.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm

so i returned today again to the main loch, i actually found it quite hard going action was fairly slow, caught 9 in total 2 nice commons both identical about 5lbs each and the rest pretty small f1s biggest about 1.5lbs, had been casting to the same spot all the time, near the end i got a real shock, had to stop my rod flying into the water and when i lifted thought yes here we go something really big (like huge!!), it shot out into the middle (did think it felt a bit strange though) then jumped right out the water and that is the moment it snapped me...it was a big pike!!! possibly 15lbs well over 10lbs for sure really a very long fish i was gobsmacked!! no end tackle left at all i think it must have engulfed the lot and it's teeth just cut me off when it jumped, i would have loved to land it but wasn't much chance of that, got my heart going though that's for sure. may have been why i found it slow a big pike in my swim not something i would have thought off lol
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Liam O » Wed May 09, 2012 9:38 pm

thats a gutter mate get it wan day lol
giving up means you never stop trying
Liam O
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby andy prentice » Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 pm

Hoping to be there on Saturday evening with my ten year old daughter on the pellet waggler[Shes fishing and i sit back and relax]as shes' a dab hand on it 8-)
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby peppypp » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

what do you men by splash waggler method?? i am only a novice trying to gain some helpful info
peppypp
peppypp
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby johnwh » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Had a 4 hour feeder session today on peg 7, 2 hours, lunch then a further 2 hours, due to horrible weather. I had 14 carp, missed 3 and dropped 2. Best session so far :D , had over 40lb of carp. this is the best time for the feeder and the carp were on the feed today. The main loch just keeps getting better. Easy fishing, rod bag, seat and a bucket, quick set up and take down. Will be back every week until winter finally sets in.

johnwh
"Habit is stronger than reason"
johnwh
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby GERRY SMITH » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Well done John,great days fishing. :clap
Wisdom is knowing when to speak,and when not to speak.Please give me wisdom.
GERRY SMITH
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby GG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Scott Laird and James Dornom had a great day on Sunday fishing in front of the cafe. Scott had 70lb of Carp and James was not far behind all caught on the pole.

Just goes to show that when shallow ponds are affected by cold, the Main Loch can throw up great catches this time of year before it gets really, really cold! Tip can produce as well as the pole. Well done both.

10478_423331234400858_15798.jpg

319021_423329444401037_4621.jpg
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bryanh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:40 pm

STEVIE'S EXCITING PELLET WAG DEBUT.

Motherwell man Stevie Quinton joined me on the Main Loch yesterday to sample pellet waggler fishing for the first time.
Unfortunately one or two factors conspired to slow down sport a little compared to the last week or two but nevertheless, while it wasn't an out and out bagging session, all the fish we caught were proper 'animals' and were in pristine condition.
A breathless flat calm combined with brilliant sunshine, following a chilly night made it hard going and bites were few and far between for the first couple of hours. Eventually a slight southerly breeze produced a welcome ripple which encouraged the carp to have ago but bites were still at a premium and extremely shy.
The biggest problem was that they were in full spawning mode and consequently very unwilling to feed. Bankside vegetation in the area we fished was being torn to pieces by the explosive antics of the spawning fish and the loch surface, on the waggler line was alive with big carp which were topping in a most unusual way. Normally, when they are on the surface they roll, but these fish were leaping clear of the water, landing with a collosal splash; i've witnessed this type of behaviour many times and significantly it's always been at spawning time and I believe that in the absence of any significant hard vegetation it's the only way they can clean off.
Stevie's first fish was a solid, broad-backed common which weighed around eight pounds and he followed this up with another four fish which were all around the four pound mark.

I caught the twin brother to Stevies fish but unfortunately,for me, it was foul-hooked in the tail and it took a good 15 minutes
to net during which time it took me to within a couple of metres of the far bank, twice. I finished the day with eight fish which like Stevies, all weighed over the four pound mark.
Hopefully, the weather forecast is accurate in that the current warm spell will continue for the next few days, which will enable the spawning cycle to be completed leading to spectacular sport. Either way, Stevie will be back for more - he's well and truly hooked. (Pun intended :D )
005 - Copy (4) [].JPG
Not Stevie's biggest fish of the day, this one weighed a mere six pounds
Attachments
004 - Copy (3) [].JPG
bryanh
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby GG » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks Brian, I must get out for a pleasure session soon. I hear others are catching well too! :D
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tshayle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:55 pm

I took a young lad along to the main loch today he had never fished the splash waggler, in the first 30 minutes he never had a bite and i changed the depth to 3 feet and the float to a mushroom one, he had a fish instantly, and over the next hour had around 12 carp up to 5lb, only down side was he got snapped off so if any one finds my beloved mushroom float just keep it and give it a try. I kept reminding him to keep a hold of he rod, as it could disappear and would you know it whilst he was having a drink i was left in charge of the rod and only just caught the end of the handle as it shot across the bank, practice what you teach. The fish were jumping every where, and continuous feeding of 4 and 8mm pellets just 2 at time kept them interested. great few hours for the young man. back next week, with a camera.
tshayle
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby djmotorsport » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:45 pm

I fished Peg 13 today - It started slowly and the high winds and constant rain almost sent me home early - I'm glad I stayed.

By 13:15 I had four skimmers, a couple of roach and a carp around 5lb, all from my 10M line (too windy to fish further out with a pole).

The short 'roach line' was not producing as it normally would, but I was getting very slight indications - so as the wind was dropping, I shotted the float right down and within 5 mins I was into something big (on yellow hydro, 0.08 hook link and size 22 with double pinkie) - After about 15 mins I landed a 6lb carp. So, it was up to size 16 with pellet on a 0.13 hook link with pink (later upped to blue) hydro.

From then on it was regular action with 31 carp, 12 skimmers and a dozen roach (most around 8oz) being landed by 17:00 - Total weight was easily of 100lb - at least half of the carp were 5lb+. There was one other angler that I could see on the other side of the main loch, and when I had time to look, he was also catching.....

A fantastic day.
---
DJ
djmotorsport.blogspot.com
djmotorsport
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

PreviousNext

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Reports