Birch Ponds Report

How are Magiscroft waters fishing? Find out here with updates from anglers. Post here to tell us how you got on !

Re: Birch Ponds Report

Postby toj » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Had a cracking wee session on the birches today with Tommy. I'd brought a waggler rod with me with every intention of giving it a whirl today, but when I saw my peg it screamed "POLE", so it was indeed out with the pole and two kits- one for full depth, and one for up the shelf towards the island. As it was a pleasure session I began pinging casters before I'd even got the pole together, so by the time I started the swim was solid with fish!

(Meanwhile, Tommy was of course plumbing up a few lines with his paste rigs...)

Out with the baited rig (single caster on a size 20) and the float was away immediately. Solid resistance and a pale flash on the surface indicated one of the pond's blue orfe, and it became the first of many! The session was fished over about 4.5 hours, during which Tommy caught steadily on paste and I caught steadily on caster. I had a couple of chucks with a wee method feeder and picked up a few carp, including a bonus 2lb+ fish. This added to my tally of chub, roach, ide, and the odd looking blue orfe. Tommy and I tried to keep a fairly accurate tally as the day went on, and by four I'd comfortably caught 35lb!

Early in the session (following Ronnie's advice), I had baited the margins of the main loch behind me with a good double handful of 8mm pellets, so come four o' clock Tommy and I turned our seatboxes round for a wee while to see if we could score a bonus fish. Tommy persevered with paste, while I went straight in with a method feeder and pellet. Tommy hooked and lost a lump, while I was lucky enough to start proceedings with a fin perfect common carp of about 7.5lb quite quickly. Colin Kerr came out for a walk, and timed his arrival at my peg perfectly as I hooked into my second fish, another common of about 4lb (accompanied by a catcall from me to Tommy of "ach, it's only a five pounder this time!") Another three fish followed pretty quickly, totalling 15lb+ of carp from the main loch in under an hour. Can't complain at that!!

Anyway, brilliant day out, and it would be unfair not to thank Heather for collecting bacon rolls en route to the fishery in the morning. Sterling work!
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby andy prentice » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Nice one Tony :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:07 am

great stuff Toj, i was up the top of the main pond at the other side (peg 25?). i heard your reel screaming on that 7.5lber, dropped the polaroids down and watched you bring it in it looked a belter didn't want to give up did it!! i didn't realise you had prebaited that swim i was thinking "there that jammy bugger has just got here and he's landed right in amongst the fish" :lol: top fishing :thumb
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby toj » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Haha, nope, baited it for Ron- Late'ron!

The big 'um swam towards me at first, but as I got it near I slacked the drag a bit when I saw the size of it- figured it might make a bit of a run!

You looked like you had a cracking sunny, sheltered spot!
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Tommy L » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:18 pm

My day was 16 Carp for an estimated 14Lbs on the paste. Very nice of you not to mention the thrashing TOJ. Enjoyed the day pleasure fishing in a sort of way with a competative aspect to it. :thumb Well done on your victory. :clap :clap :clap
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby toj » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Cheers Tommy- another decent scalp to add- don't worry though, you don't belong on my mantelpiece just yet... ;)
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Tommy L » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:35 pm

toj wrote:Cheers Tommy- another decent scalp to add- don't worry though, you don't belong on my mantelpiece just yet... ;)

Del's needing some company on yer mantlepiece. ;) :D :D :D :D :D
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby toj » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Haha, he's making a bid for freedom with his recent form!
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Robkavo3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 pm

well done boys, nothing beats a good pleasure session!!!
IFI Junior Team Ireland Celtic Cup Winners 2011
Robkavo3
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby EwanSmith » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 pm

i was on the birch 1 and got about 6 carp 7 chub and a few nice blue orfes what was annoying though was all the tiny roach and gudgeon only got by them when i started fishing on the surface with caster then the orfes chub and carp came. :mrgreen:
EwanSmith
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby jamiecrossan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 pm

ok thay can can be a bit of a pest if ur fishing ur pole ir rod out far but u cant bet a pleshor seshone and just caching them down buy the side and if u feed cerfuly you can hock a big fish like ma pb is a 3.4 tench in the wood side pond down the side lo9l :dance :lol: :lol:
jamiecrossan
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby pedro123 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi guys had a really good day on the bigger of the birches today I fished the peg just a bit down from the opening where you go to get to the other side,I fished a single lead with single maggot across to a small island the weather was very mild with no wind and 1 or 2 very little showers Witch were nothing to worry about .I didn't start fishing till 1 o'clock and stoped fishing at 4 o'clock there were a few people on the pond about 6 which ment no one was crammed in anywhere so once I got set up using 6lb main line and a 2lb hook link and a size 20 hook. So I clipped up tight against the small island and I fed 3 or 4 maggots every 5 minuates but by 2 o'clock I'd had a few little knocks but no proper bites so I uped the feed a bit same amount of maggots just every 2 minuates and this started to get to feed I had a small roach then followed by a few small roach and stockies so by half 2 I'd had about 15 small fish the peg then went dead which can mean that the bigger fish have moved in and that's what happened here as people started to leave the fishing got better and then I hooked a proper fish an f1 which must have been 3,1/2 lb so I wasn't caring if I didnt catch again I had an hours worth of fishing left but by this time it was like fishing in the summer fish were rolling on top of the water fish were bubbling and the fish were taking anything that went close to island the fish were not to confident to feed unless the bait was tight against the island which was weird because the amount of fishing moving in open water but after the big f1 chub and ide came on the feed and there was a few f1s in the mix but in the end I must have had about 50 carp roach ide and chub in 3 and a half hour session not bad day for the first time out this year :D :D
pedro123
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Tommy L » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:15 pm

A good day then Peter, well fished. :clap
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby andy prentice » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Nice one mate :clap if it was me i would not be shy by using 4lb on single lead weight.Then seen you were baggin up with size 20 hook on single maggot,would have switched too size 18 double maggot for the bigger ones.Still though,why break it if not broken :?: Excellent fishing bud :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby OldCoach » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi all,
I was thinking of giving the Birches a go with the pole Monday or Tuesday and was wondering how it was fishing now it's turned colder. Are people still catching and if so, what on?
Be grateful for any info. Cheers for looking.

Joe
Joe Brownisky
OldCoach
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby mattsmith » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:06 am

I was fishing the birches yesterday (Friday) for a few hours, it had been cold overnight and was hard going, only managed a couple of roach using maggot
mattsmith
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby Gazby » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 am

Fished the birches yesterday (Tuesday) in the small pond and had the best of days. Started on small hook with maggot and got hammered by the small roach so switch to a banded pellet on the float. Fed my swim (Little and often, thanks Tommy) and the fish moved in. Mirror Carp, Roach, F1's and a Lovely Tench. They weren't big fish but beautiful miniature's in amazing condition.

The only thing that spoilt an amazing day was the bloody midges :doh

They say size doesn't matter. I took about 60 pictures of the fish and the birds but here's just a few. :thumb

“If all politicians fished instead of spoke publicly, we would be at peace with the world.”
Gazby
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Connor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Birches were fishing great for me on sunday, did slow down in the afternoon but still a fantastic day!

10+ 1.5lbs-3.0lbs carp

Also the birches have had a great year this yeah and is full of tiny baby fish, hopefully carp :thumb
Connor
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Previous

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Reports