Island Pond Report

How are Magiscroft waters fishing? Find out here with updates from anglers. Post here to tell us how you got on !

Island Pond Report

Postby GG » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Fishing well and Ronnie has the water level back up near normal level. Carp up to and over 8lb still making up most of the weights with big Ghosties appearing more often. Time to think about stepping up your tackle to cope with bigger fish!
Chub are growing fast (many over 1lb now) and giving great sport, and if you target Roach you can catch all day including more 4-6oz fish. Tench being caught in greater numbers now, lots of small ones but quite a few up to 4lb.

Paste is starting to work much better with Carp now taking it confidently. All the usual baits like Pellet and Corn still working well for Carp, Caster and Worm is definitely the winning combination for silver fish. All methods working well including pole, waggler and feeder … whichever you are happiest with !

With heatwave conditions predicted at times … you need to be aware that on those hot days early and late is often better so adjust your approach accordingly. No point feeding lots of bait when the fish are sunbathing … little and often can stimulate them to have a nibble better than giving them too much. With light nights there’s plenty of time in the day to get among the big ones !

PLEASE ADD YOUR REPORTS AND UPDATES TO THIS TOPIC :D

Tight Lines
GG
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Island Pond Report - 30 June 2009

Postby GERRY SMITH » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Was up at the beginners match this evening.Paste took 1st,2nd,and third spots.The bites are still very light,test everything. ;)
Wisdom is knowing when to speak,and when not to speak.Please give me wisdom.
GERRY SMITH
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby brian no1 bhoy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm

was up on sunday had 14 mostly carp.1 chub and a tench biggest was 6lb mirror.my son had 4 fish 3 carp and a tench biggest was 6 pound 10 ounce mirror all caught on inline feeder with hair rigged paste pellet or corn
THE TWO BEST TIMES TO FISH ARE WHEN ITS RAINING AND WHEN IT AIN'T!
brian no1 bhoy
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Alan McM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 am

Visited the island pond on Sun 9th, peg 11 I think. Bit of a mixed day.

The silver fish were up for it, but the carp and chubb didn't want to know. I tried corn, maggot, pellet and paste hard against the island. I did manage to get a alrge ghostie, but unfortunately it snapped my hooklink as I was bringing it in to net. 2.5lb, maybe need to go a wee bit heavier.

I got a 2lb barbel later on, but apart from that all I managed was small roach and perch.

I think the floating algae was putting the fish off, plus I noticed there was a bit of an oil slick on the water about 2M long slowly drifting around the pond.
Alan McM
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby thenewguy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Wat is working well at the moment am new 2 it and coming soon and a want 2 catch some carp :]

Wats working with feeders
thenewguy
1oz Gudgeon
1oz Gudgeon

Re: Island Pond Report - 14 march 2010.

Postby chris mccabe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:27 pm

visited magiscroft today what a sight ,the main loch clear of ice and the only ice remaining was on the small birch pond.
so decided to fish the island pond ,after ending up with a blank the last B division match i fished it wasn't going to be easy
or so i thought. i couldnt have been more wrong.
i chose peg 9. plumed up three swims one at four metres the second at eight metres and the third at thirteen metres
baited 4 metres with chopped worm n caster
8metres with maggots with loose fed caster
13 metres with chopped worm n caster mixed in with swimstim original flavoured with m and m.( two egg sized balls)

cought roach right from the first put in and cought steady for the first two hours with roach between 2oz and 1lb .
on the 8metre swim, switched to thirteen metres and cought roach at first about 6 or 7 oz then the bites stopped.
so suspected bigger fish had moved in so switched to jelly flavoured pellets" bingo" first carp about 3lbs so fed pellets 6.
with cad pot with 4mm pellet tiped with caster bang second carp fought slow at the start then woke up and ran me ragged
finally netted a small mirror about 2.1/2lb rested swim .
tried 4 metre swim double caster first put in 12oz roach cought eleven more before swim died so back to 8metres two more
good roach then an ide about 2lb then about thirty roach between 2oz and 12oz lost the light so packed up .cracking day :D fishing :D :D :D
Match fishing isn't a life or death situation its more serious than that
chris mccabe
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Same story as Chris but on peg 22....caught roach and chub steadily all day fishing 8-10 meters....loose feeding half a dozen or so maggots at regular intervals...as the day wore fed more and didnt put the fish off. Finished the day with a cracking 2lb golden tench...
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at the office
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby chris mccabe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:17 pm

for crazy d have you got any photos of the golden tench as its the only fish i havn't caught at the croft as yet
chris McCabe........ :cheers mate.
chris mccabe
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 am

chris mccabe wrote:for crazy d have you got any photos of the golden tench as its the only fish i havn't caught at the croft as yet

Chris I usually take ma camera everywhere but on this occasion left it at home...however did get a few picts on my phone...cheap phone so will have to bluetooth to my other half then hopefully will be able to put a pict of it on the forum...

Mark
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at the office
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby chris mccabe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:19 pm

cheers mate look forward to having a look at the pics :thumb :cheers mark
chris mccabe
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby charly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Great report, glad to see some new Reports on here.

I was over for a few hours on Friday Peg 5 on island last week caught 3 carp on pellet and small pellet feeder, inches from island. great sign a few liners and decent fish, takes were still light but 1st carp just stayed put didnt realise was on till i reeled in thinking a good liner had moved my feeder.

Did a few hours on the island peg 6 on Sun with my boy so didn't do much fishing between sorting my son out, managed a good carp last thing using pellet and small pellet feeder, just as sun was setting so was very happy not to blank as my son 6 had caught a steady stream of roach with a small rod and float with maggots ( double maggot seem best ), so he was happy that he caught more than me ( in his eyes.....)

Was a really good take as well rod bent right round and held which is my love of feeder fishing.

charly
charly
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby andy prentice » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Fished on peg 7,nine till one o'clock whilst the begginers match was on opposite end of island.Started the session of using Gura pellet cone,korum quick change bead,snap link swivel sitting just above running,with 1 oz weight attached.
After an hour and a half,two possitive bites that was it.So plan B was in order;off with the 1 oz weight and on with the 20g Kamaason Black Cap swimfeeder,this only took seconds to do as that is where the quick change bead comes handy,anyway i attatched 2lb 12 inch hooklenghsize 18 kamasan wide gap hook.
Cast a foot from island and kept line tight for any line bites.Plenty recast in,this time a metre short,line bites again,so went through the whole procedure until i felt i was on to them.I was three metres from island and then in with the maggots in swimfeeder.Bang,i was in for the next couple of hours,every chuck mostly good size roach and chub on double bronze maggots.
Pity i could not do this in the B matches :oops: :doh!:
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby charly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:13 pm

great report Andy, stil not easy fishing yet but fun :-)
charly
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Brian W » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 am

can we start getting pond reports for 2010 thanks
Brian W
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby charly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Fished Island pond Sunday 18th peg 23 ish ( not 100 % sure ) 6pm til 9pm

Was fishing tight to island, not as much activity in the water as prevous week, was using small method feeder and preston pellet feeder, changing them about when bites slowed, using Sweet corn on a hair rig with about 4 " hook lenght with 2mm feed pellets .

Had 11 carp lost 2, 1 whilst gabbing to tommy ( my fault ) was good few hours with takes now being more aggresive as I presume as what ive read fish are grubbing in prep for spawning. still seems on the feeder for me corn working best, my otehr favoriate hook bait soft hooker pellets just dont seem to be working just now.
charly
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Tommy L » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Fished the Island Pond today on Peg 12 on the end of a line of 3 anglers. Pointless fishing out on your own if practicing trying out different methods. Managed to turn the Chub on whilst the anglers were there. When they left I caught a rogue Carp on my number 4 laccy which was fun. I then targeted the Carp and managed 10 between approx 3-15pm and 4-15pm. How did I do it, no chance of saying with the Barra's just round the corner. ;) :D :D :D
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby barrymarshall15 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:59 pm

TOMMY U USED PELLET I GOT TOLD
barrymarshall15
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Re: Island Pond Report

Postby Doc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:10 am

One of my works team fished the island on Friday, peg 20, 2 lines at 11m and 9m, pinkie and corn, he had 16 carp/F1s and a rake of silvers, so long as the frost stays away it looks like the fish are out to play 8-)
Some are more equal than others ....
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby charly » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:23 pm

thanks for the report Doc sounds great
charly
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby djmotorsport » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:19 pm

After missing the Wednesday match due to work I decided to fish the deep end of the Island pond today on Peg 3.

There was a very thin layer of ice covering the whole pond, but even a plummet would go through it, so it didn't take long to clear a swim. I decided to try the bottom of the far shelf and sure enough, the fish were there.

It was pretty hard for the first 2-3 hours but it started to pick up as the remaining ice melted, and sometime between 2 & 3 they really switched on and when I packed up at 15:45 I had 9 F1s to between 2 and 4lb, 5 commons around 1.5lb and 4 mirrors again around 1.5lb for easily over 30lb. Fish were caught on pellet, corn and maggot.

Tommy gave me some very useful pointers as I continue to learn how to use the pole - thanks Tommy!

As I was packing up the surface was icing over in front of me.
---
DJ
djmotorsport.blogspot.com
djmotorsport
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Next

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Reports