Woodside Pond Report

How are Magiscroft waters fishing? Find out here with updates from anglers. Post here to tell us how you got on !

Woodside Pond Report

Postby toj » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 pm

George- can we get a thread up here for Woodside pond please? I know that the fishing reports will be much the same ("was up the other day and caught a million perfect wee carp on whatever method I wanted") but as it develops then fishing reports will begin to take shape I'm sure.

I'm bringing my 5 year old nephew up on Thursday for his first day out with his big uncle Tony (he's getting to sit in the front seat of the car and everything) and my plan is Woodside in the morning to hopefully scoop plenty wee carp and silvers, before moving on to mebbe show him a bigger carp later (might give the Birches a bash.) Couple of quick questions though. While I'm confident we'll catch plenty carp on Woodside, it'd be nice if I could show boy wonder a wee tench. Are there any of the pegs where they are showing more than others? I got a couple when I first fished Woodside at the far side (can't remember the peg number) by fishing pellet over pellet. Still the right approach?

Also, I've never fished Birches before. Again, I'm pretty confident I can winkle out a few fish, but any pointers on what peg/ pond to head to, and any choice methods?

Cheers folks,

Toj
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Re: Woodside

Postby Gavin P » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:21 pm

If you fish a 6mm expander over a bed of 4mms on th birches you will get carp if you fish up to the island. If you are looking at the birchesfrom the cafe the one on the left is where i have had the bigger carp from with my best being around 5lbs which was caught very easily doing what i just said. As for getting a tench if you fish with a bed of chopped worm and pellets or a bed of chopped worm and caster and fish a smallish piece of worm over the top you should get a tench as this tactic works well everywhere for tench especially somewhere where pellets are a real feature in what goes into the ponds
2008 scottish junior champion

me with a pb 18lb pike caught 1 day before my birthday >
Gavin P
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby hudster » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I fished woodside yesterday and had 90 fish through the course of the day, all on the pole.

I started off by putting in two medium balls of groundbait about a foot from the far band and fished just where it shelves up.
I topped up the groundbait all day if bites slowed down.
I then loose fed corn, maggots, and micro pellets over the top, feeding a pinch of each with every put in.

It was slow at the beginning of the day, but from about 2 o'clock onwards it was a fish every put in.
Andy Hudson AKA Alan Judson
hudster
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby mcdon2401 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Woodside was interesting on Saturday. Lots of lovely little carp, especially mirrors, of around 1/4 pound each and one or two of slightly more. Also a good mix of Roach, Ide, a cracking Chub of 3/4 pound and a Perch of around the same. Like Andy, it was a little pinch of groundbait and some freebies every put in or two, and fished with either maggot or worm on the hook.
Fight crime : Shoot back.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you'll get peace to do the ironing :)

Westside Angling Group. About average :)
mcdon2401
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby toj » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Well it was a cracking day, with a mixed bag of carp, roach, perch, skimmers, ide/chub and tench. The tincas were particularly obliging with about 12-15 of them coming our way. I fished two sections out and the wee guy three sections, maggot over maggot and micro pellet.

He wanted to try the island pond, but after 5 minutes bite-free (well, apart from the bites that I could see and he couldn't) I persuaded him to head back to Woodside. Gotta keep that interest up...
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby GERRY SMITH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am

Woodside is now fishing very well for the silvers,all decent fish. :thumb
Wisdom is knowing when to speak,and when not to speak.Please give me wisdom.
GERRY SMITH
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Woodside Pond Report

Postby seehall1234 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 pm

does anyone know if the woodside is ice free just now
seehall1234
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby Alan.H » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:30 pm

It was iced over yesterday

AL
Alan.H
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby alex mason » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 pm

maybe ice free by tues/wed
"B div" pairs champions 2012
alex mason
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Woodside Pond Report 26/03

Postby Alan McM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:13 pm

First outing this year. Spoke to Ronnie who suggested the Woodside Pond as the island had a match on the sunday.

Blinder of a suggestion Ronnie, fantastic day all day.

Fished peg 17. Started off at the bottom of the far shelf, 2lb 6 hooklink to size 18. Fished 2 maggots and potted in a small pinch of maggots, small pinch of hemp and a small pinch of 2mm pellets. Fish a chuck, mostly carp about 1lb, then around 12 the chub had moved in. Still a fish a chuck. Once the float settled I counted to 15, if it hadn't gone under by then I lifted 4" and counted again.

Chub dried up around 2. Fished hard against the island, alternating maggot and corn on the hook, same potting in as above. Waited about 2 mins, then carp after carp. Chub movedin again after about an hour and then they dried up around 4.

Had been feeding an inside line since 12 so gave that a go. Nice gold carp around 2lb, followed by 2 nice skimmers about 1lb and a half each, more chub and a couple of tench. That dried up around 5 so went back to the long line against the island. Carp or chub every chuck.
Every time that cooled off I switched to the inside line and slapped the rig about and got the chub to come up for it.

What an amazing day, kept busy all day long :D bring on more sunny days like that :lol:
Alan McM
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby GG » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Well done Alan :D :clap
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cammycarp22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Try float fishing on the bottom with pellet and feed maggots and pellet and you can get carp and tench ;)
There's method in the ...feeder get it my pb is 15lb8oz
Cammycarp22
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby J Robinson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 pm

Outstanding day on the Woodside, fishing it for the first time with a friend. Ronnie mentioned that he'd stocked it with about 500 carp averaging about 8oz and they were feeding heavily today.

Fishing from about 12:00 to 19:45 Ross had 75 carp for about 38lbs (estimate) and I had 153 carp and 2 rudd, for nudging 80lbs. Largest was a pound exactly, with only a handful under 6oz (just a few stray F1s from the Island pond). All fish came from the margin, on either single or double maggot on a size 16 or sweetcorn. Lots of feeding all day, with a couple of pints of maggots/castor used and about 1.5kg of groundbait, crumb and pellet.

Acknowledging that it was ridiculously easy due to the naivity of the carp, it was nevertheless one of the best days fishing I've ever had. The carp are large enough to give you a proper scrap and being able to get them all on either a top 2 or 3 made it that much more fun.
J Robinson
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby GG » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:33 am

Magic! :clap :thumb :dance
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Reports