forth and clyde canal

How are Magiscroft waters fishing? Find out here with updates from anglers. Post here to tell us how you got on !

forth and clyde canal

Postby craig1970 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 pm

hi lads im craig live in dumbarton scotland can anyone give me some information on the forth and clyde canal at bowling fished it a few times last summer,on the feeder,then changed to float no bites at all on worm heard it holds coarse fish so i joined the sfca.fished directly under the erskine bridge.weres the best parts to fish?excellent fishery by the way cant wait to fish it thanks everyone craig.
craig1970
1oz Gudgeon
1oz Gudgeon

Re: forth and clyde canal

Postby StuartD » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Craig,

There are a few canal experts on here who I'm sure will drop you a line with advice. I've heard Bowling is very tough with very few bites but there will be advice. Just be patient as the guys I am talking about are not on all the time.

Cheers
The Gopher
StuartD
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby GG » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi Craig,

If you use the Search box, at the top right of the page, you should find lots on and information about the canal :thumb :)

Cheers
George
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pedro123 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Craig fishing the canal at the bassin can be very hit and miss at times I've never had good results on the feeder on the canal due to the bottom to many snags fishing the waggler or pole has always brought me results all over the canal you can get small fish fishing doing that by fishing across to the other side and feed maggot but if you want the bigger fish tench and big perch it has to be the worm,you don't need to fish hard on the bottom for the perch but the tench you will have to fish hard on the bottom and if you can pre bait anywhere that will give you a head start on the tench fish really light for the perch and roach 2lb line and 1lb hook lengths but if you are going to fish for the tench step up your gear to 5lb line and 3 or 4 lb hook lengths but them tactics will work all over the canal but for the bassin if you have a pole chopped worm and caster on both shelfs will pick up the better fish while getting the smaller fish pole shallow with pinkie or maggot or waggler doing the same and feed 4 or 5 maggots over the top for every cast or put in these are warmer water tactics fishing the canal in winter is really hard but these tactics will get you a few bites in the warmer months :thumb :thumb
pedro123
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby derry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 am

Try fishing under bridges and in the lock gates,the problem with using a pole is the traffic on the towpath ie cyclists and prams and dogs,maggot and worm best baits,prefer to use a waggler myself,as Pedro says to many snags to use feeder off the bottom.
derry
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby stevieITR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:32 pm

i like fishing the canal, iv found waggler and maggot best,

has any1 fished lock27?

ive heard its meant to be good and holds large roach in that area however i have fished there numerous times and have not even had a bite, not even a nibble.

i have witnessed another angler pull out a nice pike there, around 6-7lbs, so that kinda backs up the idea about nice fish being there.

just wondering if any1 else has fished there? and if so any luck.
stevieITR
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby pedro123 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Stevie I fish loch 27 quite a lot had really good days and some horrific days but I enjoy it cause it's a 5 min drive from my house and you can always pull a few fish out.
pedro123
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby stevieITR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 pm

hi pedro, would you care to give any tactics you use to catch fish at lock 27? that is the only place i have yet to catch on the canal.

you can pm me if you wish
stevieITR
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby Cameron » Wed May 30, 2012 4:08 pm

on the canal there is a adventure centre along the canal and there is a picnic area and a bridge to your left and cast a rod out and you catch carp which there was one caught 5 months ago at 30lb there is also tench pike perch rudd bream etc. its near falkirk. :sun :sun :sun :sun
Cameron
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby Cameron » Wed May 30, 2012 4:11 pm

use sweetcorn on feeder or boilies and prebait 2 das before to get the fish in the swim
Cameron
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Reports