Main Loch

How are Magiscroft waters fishing? Find out here with updates from anglers. Post here to tell us how you got on !

Main Loch

Postby Twister » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 pm

How times change...as a youngster I would often head to a lake local, (ish), to where we lived with tackle consisting of a spool of line, (30lb), barbed size 1 hooks and some discarded spark plugs from when Dad last serviced the family car...finesse was still a word I had to learn..armed with a loaf of bread and some cumin powder I would while away my weekends handlineing 30lb + wild carp and many a cut finger was had trying to keep hold of these monsters with bare hands holding onto slipping line....
Fast forward to Sunday 6th September 2015, and it's 14H00 at Magiscroft on a gloriously sunny Autumn afternoon...having arrived so late in the day it was a case of picking an available peg and as it happened I landed at peg 9 with an angler either side of me and after settling in watched the two gents to try and garner some information as to tactics they were employing as both were fishing with pellet waggler's, a method only recently taken up by me. In July this year I purchased a second hand waggler rod, a 11ft Shakespeare mach 3 and I have had so much fun with it I just can't put it down..having rigged up, the gentleman on peg 10 had packed up and declared his exasperation to a fellow angler as to his disappointment at not catching anything on the pellet waggle. ..just as I was thinking it was going to be a long afternoon I put a little too much enthusiasm into my first cast. Fortunately the pegs on the opposite bank were vacant as my 8g waggler float landed just a few feet in from the bank and for as long as it took me think about retrieving the cast, I was into my first fish, the drag on my reel screaming to such an extent I though I must have wound the drag off when last I had packed away. A glance down at the reel confirmed that the drag was indeed set where I had left it and by this time I realized I was going to be in trouble as the fish was headed straight toward the buoy anchored in the middle of the loch and sure enough the buoy started moving under the tension of my line and it was all I could do to keep pressure on the rod and try to increase the drag by pushing down on the spool with my finger...fortunately it was enough to halt the fish's run and luckier still that the fish came back toward me on the same side of the buoy as it had gone before and in so doing allowed me to land a 7lb common in pristine condition.
A further 4 commons followed, all around the 5 to 6lb mark with afternoon session ending with a splendid 8lb mirror....it's always difficult to pack up when the fish are feeding so prolifically but I had promised to be home in time for dinner and it made a pleasant change from being carried back to the car park by the midges. ..it was a very productive and exciting 2.5 hour session and hopefully the pellet waggler will produce again before the winter sets in .....
Last edited by Twister on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twister
1oz Gudgeon
1oz Gudgeon

Re: Main Loch

Postby Twister » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Ps..apologies for all the typo's - just thought I'd scribble an account of my afternoon using my phone..
Twister
1oz Gudgeon
1oz Gudgeon

Re: Main Loch

Postby Tommy L » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:26 am

Welcome to the forum Twister, that was a good read. Looking forward to your next session and post.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Reports