High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Anything NOT about Magiscroft or fishing. Keep it clean, youngsters will be reading!

Re: High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 am

Tommy L wrote: The important document to read is the J Ross incoming 3rd from the top. In that I have learned that it will be the partially filling in of the ponds over a 5 year period. Now the good thing is that the nearby moss has brought all the partners on board to make sure everything is done properly and above board. It appears to be a 5 year project resulting in 3 shallow ponds which would be ideal for fishing in

Exactly what I suggested should be done when I posted my comment on the NLC website :rock
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at the office
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby StuartD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 am

legend wrote: local hero and friend jimmy hillhouse was fishing saw across the far side. saw the whole developments unfold. jumped in rescued the child and the babysitter after she jumped in a panic.

Jimmy Hillhouse fishing the Main Loch!!!! come on :D :D :D
The Gopher
StuartD
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby RonW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am

Having heard about the proposals for infill works at Springbank Quarry through the earlier posts on this thread, I have, on behalf of SFCA, contacted both North Lanarkshire Council and the surveyors who are acting for the developers.

The long term intention is apparently for the area to be landscaped to incorporate “shallow water bodies” and create an "appropriate recreation and amenity resource" for the local community. I explained that the three flooded quarries currently on the site contain roach, perch, pike and eels, and have for many years served as a free - if not always entirely safe - fishery for nearby anglers. I relayed local anglers’ concerns that the existing fish populations would be killed off during the infill works, and about the absence of any indication that the developers envisage providing angling facilities as part of the "recreation and amenity resource" they propose to create. I therefore asked them about their intentions regarding the rescue and relocation of the current fish stocks before these works commence (among other things, bearing in mind that there may be statutory obligations in relation to the population of European Eels), and provision for angling to continue after the works are complete. I also offered SFCA's assistance, both in terms of advising on how best to configure the new "shallow water bodies" to facilitate safe and effective angling and also by exploring the potential to work with the developers, the Council and the local community to promote angling and perhaps provide coaching for local youngsters.

My correspondence with the Council and the surveyors has established that the planning process is still at a very early stage. No final decisions have been made. The proposal put to North Lanarkshire Council last year was not itself a planning application but an “EIA Screening Request”, which is a preliminary step in which the developers outline the works they are considering and ask the Council to say whether a statutory Environmental Impact Assessment is required. If the developers decide to proceed with a formal planning application they will first need to undertake a pre-application consultation with local community groups at a public event/exhibition which would be advertised in the Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser at least 7 days in advance. This will give the community an opportunity to discuss the proposals in detail with the developer to identify and address any local concerns which may influence the scope of the proposals before a planning application is submitted to the Council. The re-introduction of angling facilities at the site could of course be highlighted to the developer at this time.

If a planning application is submitted, there will then be a further opportunity for interested parties to comment on the final proposals. The application would be accompanied by an Environmental Statement (if required) and full details of any restoration scheme (including angling facilities if appropriate). A report will also be included setting out the results of the public consultation and to what degree the proposals were altered following input from the local community. The Council would then consider the planning application, taking account of the local development plan and other material considerations including the ES details on environmental impacts, consultation responses, and any representations from the local community, before deciding whether or not planning permission should be granted.

The surveyor has written to say that they and the developer would welcome the opportunity to discuss the proposed development with SFCA, and has promised to contact us once they are in a position to provide further details regarding the proposal. We take this as a positive sign, and in the circumstances there seems nothing more that can be done at the moment. We will report progress on the SFCA website.

cheers

Ron

PS - posts have appeared on this and other Internet forums suggesting that some individuals intend to take matters into their own hands by removing and relocating fish from these waters. It's imperative to bear in mind that the movement of live fish without statutory consent is illegal (see http://www.sfca.co.uk/2011/11/03/fish-m ... w-the-law/). Considerable reputational damage – to SFCA and member clubs - can arise when comments are posted on public forums suggesting that some coarse anglers are not prepared to respect the law on such matters. Other people visit these forums who do not have our interests at heart, and this kind of thing just gives them ammunition to crucify us. Please don’t do it!
RonW
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby Tommy L » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks for that Ron, an excellent worded response that says all . That should keep everyone happy that the Fed have made representation on the matter and I'm certain that all the anglers who have voiced their opinion will see the value in becoming a single member of the FED as every penny helps protect the sport. :thumb
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Doc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:40 am

Sorry Ron, but i would bet a pound to a penny that the developers get what they are after, just like the application on the boundary of Magiscroft, i really dont mean to be negative, but if there are no trout or salmon most local councils dont appear to be interested, and i would hate to see local resistance fall or fail simply on the grounds that they think that the Fed will resolve this. I do hope that i am wrong.
Some are more equal than others ....
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Great to see that the SFCA have made contact with the relevant bodies...thanks Ron :rock
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at the office
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby pedro1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Looks like the web page has went off for sure... Let's hop we have done enough to keep things as they are...

Thanks all for you're input and posts we will need to keep an eye on this one.....

pedro
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby pedro1 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 am

Well it's been a little while since i read this topic..

Looks like everyone who clicked the link and protested has made its mark.

The council site has now been brought down and the 3 ponds still remain...

Screw you Malcoms..

Regards

pedro1
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Previous

Return to Off Topic