High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Anything NOT about Magiscroft or fishing. Keep it clean, youngsters will be reading!

High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Postby pedro1 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Hiya guys am a newbi here on site... Hi.....

I was reading a old topic from a couple of years ago started by madcraper ie "quarry roach" and it was all about the old high dam and the Springbank Quarry Stepends Road Airdrie. I went fishing in both those places when i was little and loved it.
Both places hold old good memories.....

Anyway as if was no bad enough that a gaping hole was ripped in the high dam to let the water away now it's left like a frog pond

they want to get rid of the three ponds too..... Fill them in..... Can't they just leave things alone the FECKIN bams.....

I still go up there with my kids..... You heard guys it's getting filled in by the look of it....... I was reading on the net.

Paste the URL as i canny work this site to create a link lol Newbie lol..

https://eplanning.northlan.gov.uk/Onlin ... 333/EIASCR

Whit you guys think of it????????..

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Re: High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Postby meppsfortrout » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:08 pm

oh my i was totally unaware of that i think those quarries are great also i guess there's no way to object against it if it's in the interests of health and safety? who owns it these days would it not be possible for someone to buy it or are they simply just too dangerous? it will be a sad waste of a good place to fish, there's so much life in those ponds it's criminal to even think of them getting filled in. if it happens there then before we know it it will be happening on every flooded quarry that we know. there's a big bloody 60ft cliff most of the way round those quarries they're hardly going to fill it right up to that level are they. i think the main danger at those quarries is falling to your death not drowning, i'd rather take my chances landing in water if i fell off a cliff than landing on hard ground, the falling from heights factor will still always be there whether they fill the water in or not. all water carries a risk of drowning are the trout reservoirs in that area safe? they're not used for water supplies anymore so why not fill them in? it's all madness i will be seriously gutted and angry if that goes ahead here's hoping the cost of it stops it from happening.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 pm

seems they're going to do some surveying of the effects filling in the quarries will have on the local habitat/environment, at the moment it is a place of interest regarding it's wildlife and different habitats it provides. we all know that won't matter a jot unless they meet some resistance, i for one am gonna email them write a letter and phone them to object against it.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 am

Ok....this quarry is a dangerous place but isnt anywhere nowadays......all this Health & Safety nonsence.....people who have £%&$ all better to do than tell us what we shouldnt be doing.....ive fished these ponds most of my life and never had or seen any bother....as for the high dam....it might look like a puddle mate (prob 6ft deep at most in middle) but I can guarentee it holds about a dozen or so decent carp....probably a few over the 10lb mark among other species but really hard to fish because of the weed.....i will be keeping an eye on this proposal and if needed I will also email my opinon on the matter.....if we dont act on things like this then before you know it places like the deed dug, craiglynn, st maurices, st pats and auchinstarry will all be filled in....places that I enjoy fishing when you need a wee break from the commercials.... :evil:
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at the office
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby pedro1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:22 am

The north lan website lets you post comments ect .. Guys am a noob here i dinny want to see them go...

Reading all the attached docs ect am no convinced we are gonna have the quarry fur long...

TBH i came here for help and guidance.../

Am sad....

What can we do????

Any good technical briefs out there who are on our side??
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby pedro1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 am

crazydiamonds1972 wrote:Ok....this quarry is a dangerous place but isnt anywhere nowadays......all this Health & Safety nonsence.....people who have £%&$ all better to do than tell us what we shouldnt be doing.....ive fished these ponds most of my life and never had or seen any bother....as for the high dam....it might look like a puddle mate (prob 6ft deep at most in middle) but I can guarentee it holds about a dozen or so decent carp....probably a few over the 10lb mark among other species but really hard to fish because of the weed.....i will be keeping an eye on this proposal and if needed I will also email my opinon on the matter.....if we dont act on things like this then before you know it places like the deed dug, craiglynn, st maurices, st pats and auchinstarry will all be filled in....places that I enjoy fishing when you need a wee break from the commercials.... :evil:

Sorry m8 but is just a sad story from what it used to be...... From the last time i was there......

Pure shock...... And very very sad,,, Am gutted aboot it alll.........
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby pedro1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:37 am

PS.. I hope you guys have read all the articles and attached docs, papers ect as the link i sent.......

Not looking good..........

What's wrong with leaving us alone????????

Feck it lets send all our sons out to steal stuff to pass the time ...

That is toooooo not good for the county..

I right................

SAME OLD..... TAKE TAKE TAKE TAKE.....

We just have to go along with it.......

NO MORE<<<>>>?>>>>>>>>>>>>
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby andy prentice » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 am

Sad times indeed when this happens.My secret and most cherished fishing pond has also been filled in recently to my horror :o.McMackinspond which is or should i say was located in South outskirt of Harthill in amongst the richest wildlife.
Although being owned by the forrest commision i believe that it was to do with extending the the tracks and others for quad bikers use :think.
The problem there was as like i've said,a secret fishing haven for quality sized perch,which i loved to challenge since i was wee is now a distant memory,so there for the decision would not been challenged no doubt.
I wrote a post about it last Year,and enjoyed yet again,a peacefull fishing,even in the company of the deer,fox drinking water from it next to me,and not too mention other rare birds and wildlife that enjoyed the visit,just like myself.
So therefore guys i really feel it for yous,and happy to back yous up,although i've already lost my favourite toy :cry: :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:14 am

crazydiamonds1972 wrote:Ok....this quarry is a dangerous place but isnt anywhere nowadays......all this Health & Safety nonsence.....people who have £%&$ all better to do than tell us what we shouldnt be doing.....ive fished these ponds most of my life and never had or seen any bother....as for the high dam....it might look like a puddle mate (prob 6ft deep at most in middle) but I can guarentee it holds about a dozen or so decent carp....probably a few over the 10lb mark among other species but really hard to fish because of the weed.....i will be keeping an eye on this proposal and if needed I will also email my opinon on the matter.....if we dont act on things like this then before you know it places like the deed dug, craiglynn, st maurices, st pats and auchinstarry will all be filled in....places that I enjoy fishing when you need a wee break from the commercials.... :evil:

yeah Mark i forgot to say to you bud but unfortunately the high damn was completely dried up not all that long ago, it will probably have plenty of water in it now with all the rain we've had but i'm afraid the carp can't be there anymore. hopefully someone managed to save some of the carp if so chances are they'll now be in one of the quarries.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 am

i've left a comment objecting to it i know that won't be enough i will be doing more (at work just now can't spend the time right now) but can absolutely everyone who reads this please just take the time to go on the site and also leave some sort of comment objecting to it, whether you even know of these ponds or not please take the time to do it, it's all about numbers.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:51 am

the problem is if it wasn't for you pedro i'd never have a clue what they were planning till it was too late, too many others won't have a clue either and they need to find out. i'm pretty useless to be honest mate but like u said if someone could volunteer to help on the technical side of things i do belive we can get something done about this. south lanarkshire council have tried a couple of times to sneak in a proposal for a new mineral mining quarry on the river clyde near lamington, that was stopped the first time and is in the process of being stopped again, there is a big campaign against it both online and in tackle shops the likes of glagow angling centre, all we need to do is make people aware and get their names on paper as objecting. how to go about it effectively i'm not so sure but someone must be?? really means a lot to us
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:36 am

i couldn't care less if it's illegal, no thought will be given toward fish welfare if this goes ahead, anyone got the means to transport fish if we could get as much as we could saved?
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 am

meppsfortrout wrote:yeah Mark i forgot to say to you bud but unfortunately the high damn was completely dried up not all that long ago

No way Mepps...how did that happen...it defo wasnt because we had a indian summer so it must have been drained....did you see it with your own eyes or did you here that through the grapevine as I find it hard to believe mate...

Regarding our quarries....if the worst comes to the worst and NLC approved the proposal then we must make sure that ALL the fish in these 3 ponds are safely removed.........we should learn from the mistakes of a recent draining elsewhere or we will have a huge fish loss on our hands....
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 pm

m8 first i heard about it off a guy who said he seen it himself then i was at the quarries fishing and it was poor so went down to see for myself when i saw it it wasn't completely dry but not far off just a weedy bog it really wouldn't have supported any fish at that time m8 honestly, i've known the pond only from the mid 90's i do realise my description could be it at any time since then to me it's always been not much more than a puddle but seriously it was well wasted when i saw it, i actually think this was only maybe a week or so after that time we met at that other quarry. strange but that was the first time i had seen it in 2 years surely the only reason it would get drained is if some kind of work was to be carried out but there was no obvious evidence of anything happening? if you look at it on google earth just now the area of water was probably less than a 3rd of that
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Yeah mate that was the size of it last time i was up....many years ago before they knocked down the dam wall it was the full size of that sort of square looking field area around that pond.....gonna take a wee run up next Saturday for a look....
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby pedro1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:50 pm

I recon we should go up to the high dam and plug the hole as it is not the whole dam that has been demolished.

Also looks like people are starting to notice the issue about the three ponds too more comments on the council site against it.

Hope it keeps up as there are very few places people can go now.... :clap
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby legend » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:24 am

will be extremely hard to drain the front quarry anytime soon as the flow from the land will be to great. so can't see them being succesful there the tyre quarry can't be emptied easily unless there running the pump from the highdam, as for the back quarry wud be the same problem. they wud stand much better chance in the summer. with the evaporation and under ground springs draining the ponds naturally, but knowing that stoopid council they will waste a million quid trying.
if i was there wud start a petition or contact local newspapers. make people aware of the enviromental issue. lots of species of animals birds and reptiles depend on those sites.
take a log of every animal bird plant insect reptile , fish and use it as a weapon. against these unfeeling ..........
magiscroft used to be a dumping ground you wouldn't believe it to look at it now.
the problem is to develop and make it into a park or nature reserve or managable fishery would take alot of responsibility effort time management and foresight as to what to with it and how to go about with the nature of the land, its a massive problem for the council. they won't make an investment in it, much easier to wipe it out and have no more thought about maintainance.

for me growing up there as a kid was brilliant place to go exploring also the glen and the grounds around inverhouse. we also had a park right accross the road from us. its all dissapearing before your eyes. don't let it continue.

you don't get it back once its gone.
ok said my piece.
goodluck.
:wall
legend
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby meppsfortrout » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:28 am

pedro1 wrote:I recon we should go up to the high dam and plug the hole as it is not the whole dam that has been demolished.

Also looks like people are starting to notice the issue about the three ponds too more comments on the council site against it.

Hope it keeps up as there are very few places people can go now.... :clap

yeah come on!!! everybody who reads this get an objection put in, it takes 2 minutes!!!!!! the clyde forum i'm on is mostly game fishers and every single person who has read my post on this has went on and objected, DO THE SAME EVERYONE!!!
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby madcarper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:30 pm

already posted my disaproval to this on nlc website ...maybe takin a recce on sat at h/dam and quarries( with a pint of magg of course) if anyone else fancies it for a laugh and a day out roaming lol u more than welcome :thumb lol :rock :rock
fishing is a state of mind !!
madcarper
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 am

i was actually up yesterday only for a wander round about, all much higher than they were last time i was up, and even last time i was up the quarries were well up and made fishing really difficult, unfortunately working the weekend or i'd have joined you anyway.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Next

Return to Off Topic