Coarse fishing yesteryears

All our stories and information about coarse fishing in Scotland (and elsewhere) in 'the good old days' !

Re: Coarse fishing yesteryears

Postby HeatherL » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:15 pm

whits a Brafur?
MERC'S FTW!!!!
HeatherL
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby mcdon2401 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:59 pm

HeatherL wrote:whits a Brafur?

Mustn't snigger..... :rofl

Keeping your jugs warm?
Fight crime : Shoot back.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you'll get peace to do the ironing :)

Westside Angling Group. About average :)
mcdon2401
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby jimmymca » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:41 pm

:rofl :clap
jimmymca
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby GERRY SMITH » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 pm

HeatherL wrote:
GERRY SMITH wrote:
Tommy L wrote:I'm so strung out I have taken the plunge Friday night. Going to a Doo 300 women and me. ;) :D :D :D

Is it a duck Doo?

C'mon the Gerry I'll help you out..... here goes.........

What's a duck doo? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quack quack,quack quack. :thumb
Wisdom is knowing when to speak,and when not to speak.Please give me wisdom.
GERRY SMITH
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby RonW » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:36 am

bryanh wrote:... Fintry was another current SCG water which Dietrich Burkel and I used to fish and in those days it had commons, mirrors and tench. It was incidentally the first water in the area to receive stocks of Rudd. We brought them up from the loch at Culzean Castle (I think it was called Swan Lake.) and interestingly, all the Rudd in nearby local waters- Auchinstarry Quarry, F&C Canal, St Pats, St Maurices etc - are derived from the original Fintry stocking. Have a word with Ron Woods next time you see him, I believe he had a hand in some of the movements.

Hi Bryan,

Not guilty on this occasion - I'm pretty sure you're right in saying that the rudd in the canal and those other waters were from Fintry; but they were moved in the mid and late eighties before I started to fish Fintry regularly, which was when the Scottish Carp Group got the lease. Prior to that there was a syndicate who fished it, and I know that at least one person from that group was spreading the rudd around at the time - some of them as far north as Ross & Cromarty. Incidentally, I think the Culzean fish you and Deitrich put in may not have been the only rudd stocked in Fintry - there was a short period (early eighties, I believe - I was living up north then) soon after the castle was opened as a hotel when the guy who then ran it wanted to improve the fishing and I'm sure I've heard a story about a stocking of roach and rudd at that time too.

cheers

Ron
RonW
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby clydegrayling » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 am

Wasn't there some link to Stirling University and the more exotic species in the pond at Fintry. Could just have been a rumour around the time in he early 80's when I was fishing it regularly.

Fraser.
clydegrayling
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby RonW » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

clydegrayling wrote:Wasn't there some link to Stirling University and the more exotic species in the pond at Fintry. Could just have been a rumour around the time in he early 80's when I was fishing it regularly.

Fraser.

Hi Fraser,

I've never heard that one. Only link to the academic / fisheries science world that I'm aware of is that Peter Maitland did a short paper (for the Glasgow Naturalist, I seem to recall) in the seventies which described a netting expedition in which he captured a single wild carp. I don't think there was mention of any other species being caught. He didn't identify the water by name, but he gave me a copy of the paper (I still have it somewhere - must find and scan) and confirmed that it was Fintry.

cheers

Ron
RonW
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby clydegrayling » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks for that Ron.
I'm sure that the Stirling University link was based on their freshwater aquatic departments research and also the fact that the Rudd came from the pond/lake/loch on which the campus sits. Again this could all just be rumour put about at the time and exaggerated over the years.
There was also the story of Dick Walker fishing the pond at Fintry on his way to Lomond in the 60's. But again is this story fact or fiction?
While I have your ear. Can you confirm if you receive my email regarding the proposed eradication of non -indigenous species?

Fraser.
clydegrayling
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby RonW » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:06 pm

clydegrayling wrote:Thanks for that Ron.
I'm sure that the Stirling University link was based on their freshwater aquatic departments research and also the fact that the Rudd came from the pond/lake/loch on which the campus sits. Again this could all just be rumour put about at the time and exaggerated over the years.
There was also the story of Dick Walker fishing the pond at Fintry on his way to Lomond in the 60's. But again is this story fact or fiction?
While I have your ear. Can you confirm if you receive my email regarding the proposed eradication of non -indigenous species?

Fraser.

Hi Fraser,

I've never heard anything about a Stirling Uni connection with Fintry, or any suggestion that the rudd etc came from the loch there.

Have heard the Dick Walker story several times, but suspect it's an urban myth. Culcreuch Castle was a private residence in the sixties - the loch was not widely publicised and the owners didn't let many people fish it. On the other hand, I know that there was a guy who worked in Alex Martins in Royal Exchange Square who had fished it (he told me about this in 1968) and I suppose it's just possible that Dick Walker might have been enquiring about Lomond in local tackle shops and heard about it that way. His status as British carp record holder at the time might then have opened the door. I'd love to believe it because he allegedly blanked, which always makes me feel better when I do the same.

Yes, I got your email. Sorry I haven't replied. We're in discussion with Marine Directorate in the Scottish Government about it.

cheers

Ron
RonW
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby niceroach » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 am

Wasn't there was a University link with the 'Tench Pond' commonly known as oddly enough 'the Tenchy' in Milngavie? - maybe that's where the Fintry Uni link originates, then again maybe not.

I'm sure Glasgow University had something to do with studying wild life and those smallest 'stunted' Tench I'd ever seen, either way, they were very fond of Maggots.
niceroach
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Previous

Return to All Our Yesteryears