CIPS Groundbait

A library of useful Instructional Videos, Articles and Topics.

CIPS Groundbait

Postby andy prentice » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Right i'll be going in for the CIPS for first time this year and won't be using pole as without a seatbox and other things on that matter,so therefore going for the sliderfishing with rod of course.For that reason i'll need to throw in small balls of Groundbait with dead maggots for good reason,so i need to know which Groundbait mix do i need to prepare :think :?: :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: CIPS Groundbait

Postby SilverFish » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:27 pm

I would go for a standard 50/50 sensas roach and damp leam mix.
This in not ideal for catching big fish but it will get you plenty of bites from small fish and on the slider down the middle you have as much chance of getting a big fish as anybody.
2/3 small balls at the start should encourage a few fish, then just feed the odd ball as bites dry up.
Be aware of the fish coming up in the water as the main loch roach are generally happier in 8-12ft not the 18ft you will get at full depth on the slider :D .....................p.s..........................10m of pole would be easier :thumb
SilverFish
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby andy prentice » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Sound advice mate :thumb but what is leam mix :?:
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Marti-P » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm

andy prentice wrote:Sound advice mate :thumb but what is leam mix :?:

Andy, There's loads of information on leam and how to use it here
http://www.matchangler.com/component/content/79.html?task=view

As woody says - mix up some Sensas Roach, then add damp leam to it 50/50 proportions. This will add weight to your groundbait. The damp leam is likely to be Terre de Somme or Terre de Somme Noir - French stuff.

Ronnie has some in the shop :thumb
I'm not biting
Marti-P
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby andy prentice » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks Gay Gordon,i've read that advice on leam and seemed to be more to it than i thought so i'm glad i thought i would ask that question regarding leam.I'll ditch that idea of preparing it overnight;newspapers plastic sheets,garden rakes ,whatever next :?: a steamroller :lol:
Anyway i stated that i was going to use maggots in the leam,as was'nt 100% sure i could put joker in it,now it's confirmed i can.
So basicaly to prepare it,i mix groundbait seperataly then a good riddle.then the leam but never add the joker whilst it's dry and give that a good mix adding water a time,whilst the leam is wetted at the time is that the cue to add the joker :?: Then put the leam into the Groundbaitmix and give that a good mix also then riddle again a couple of times :?: Is that the right basics there :?: :thumb
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby SilverFish » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Its easier to show on the bank Andy but to try and make it simple forget the joker and concentrate on the mix:-

Mix the groundbait constantly mixing while adding the water until it feels right then put it aside for 30mins to soak up the water.
Then give it another mix as you will find it has dried out and soaked up all the water again keep adding water and mixing till it feels right, a little over wet is good.
Now is the time to place a riddle over it and pour some damp leam onto the riddle, riddle the leam into the groundbait.
Mix the whole lot together, this is when you will see the benefit of leaving the groundbait overwet as the leam will absorb some of the moisture and dry the mix out slightly.
Now if the mix feels right riddle it and you are set, if its not right use an atomiser to add water, dont pour water directly onto the mix as the leam will turn so mush.
Now your mix is good to go this is when you can add joker,maggot,pinkie whatever feed you want.
Be aware joker left in a groundbait mix will dissolve so only add the joker as you are about to feed it.
SilverFish
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby whiskey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 am

yes its the salt in the groundbait that kills the joker :thumb :thumb
whiskey
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby andy prentice » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Sensas has little salt in but can still cause damage i suppose,but i hear that Browning black magic has came out with no salt,could be worth a try you know :think :thumb
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Craig P » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 pm

andy prentice wrote:Sensas has little salt in but can still cause damage i suppose,but i hear that Browning black magic has came out with no salt,could be worth a try you know :think :thumb

Dynamite make the same claim about no salt for the silver X range. It all seems a bit doubtful to me as the main base for most silver fish groundbaits is biscuit or bread crumb. I can't believe that they have this specially made without salt - the volumes just wouldn't be there. Any waste from stuff originally intended for human consumption that they use will already have salt in it so I can't see how they have no salt at all.

It's best just to do as Woody said and not add the joker in until you need it. Same goes for chopped worm too as it also gets blootered by salt. Why take the risk?
Craig P
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Return to Instructional Videos, Articles and Topics