slider fishing

A library of useful Instructional Videos, Articles and Topics.

slider fishing

Postby chart » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:50 pm

im looking for advice on slider fishing.

do you use a tapered leader or not and what are the advantages.
magi till a die.
chart
3lb F1
3lb F1

Re: slider fishing

Postby GG » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Hello CH,

I never slider fish without the tapered leader ... maybe I'm not best placed to say the difference ;) But I do remember many, many tangles the old way, which you hardly ever get with the tapered leader.

I remember a World championships in Croatia (before Ronnie invented the tapered leader rig). I got a slider rig to work almost perfectly ... I cast it 10 times in a row with no tangles the day before the match, and packed the rod and rig away very carefully. Next day it tangled 1st chuck, 2nd chuck, 3rd chuck ... I could hardly fish for 20 mins .. .nightmare :doh!: :oops: I had to give up and fish the pole (did well on the pole though ;) )

I can't really see any advantage to not using one. I know the England team and others don't use them, but I think that's simply because they don't know about it ! They have to use very strict, rigid, arguably crude shotting patterns to avoid tangles. To be honest if you showed them my rigs I'm sure they would say tapered is wrong ... but they would be wrong. Sometimes even great anglers can't see past the way they've always done it, and had success with.

With the tapered leader you can arrange the shot any way you want, slow fall, fast fall. and it doesn't tangle (well vary rarely). You can cast in nicely, or you can throw it in like a bag of spanners, it still doesn't tangle. The odd time it does back tangle, you can usually just shake the rig and it untangles itself, superb. :D

The confidence you get with it is really important. I remember Leamed-Up fishing the slider in a World Championships on the Arno in Italy, a hotbed of slider fishing. He did well in the section, catching well across, and a big crowd were very complimentary about his slider fishing skills. The tapered leader gives you the confidence to fish with that freedom and concentrate on feeding and catching.

Simple really ! ;)
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby perchie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:30 pm

GG,

Can you explain a bit more about the tapered leader. Ronnie has mentioned this in the past and swore by it. Is it similar to what the Italians do with the twisted line.

Cheers

perchie
Monklands CAC
"It is cold in their shadow!"
perchie
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby GG » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi Perchie, ;)

I suppose the use of a length of thicker, or twisted line, might be similar in principle .... but when you see a tapered leader rig in action you will twig why it's just spot on, miles better. I'll try to describe below, but best thing to do is to have a look at my slider rig on the bank this weekend (if the Main Loch isn't frozen) if you are there.

The whole idea is just the same principle as a fly leader, the taper forces the fly to roll out evenly as the cast unfolds, the same goes for the shot and hook. It works like magic but you can just imagine how the science behind it works.

Basically ... you get a tapered fly leader, one that tapers to say a 3lb point. You will find that the fine end is parallel for a few feet until it starts to taper thicker. Cut off the parallel part just before the taper starts and cut off the thickest end so that you have the required length for the rig, I find between 4 and 5 ft OK but I have used shorter. You now have 4-5ft of tapered line.

Tie a small swivel to each end. Hooklength ties onto the bottom swivel. Thread a small bead on the mainline, then your float, then anther small bead, then tie your mainline onto the top swivel (thick end). You also need to tie a stop knot onto the mainline. Your bulk goes just below the thick-end swivel, below that goes a few small shot, I usually taper a few 4s and a few 6s, usually evenly spaced, on light floats you can go to 6s and 8s.

So the final set-up looks like -

hook---------------0o0-----6------6-----6-----4-----4----4--BULK-0o0-----bead---float -- bead-----mainline---knot----

<-----12-15in---->swiv <------------------- 4ft ------------------>swiv-------------------------------------------------------

Hope that makes sense, but best to talk about on the bank.
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chart » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 pm

nice one gg. :P
magi till a die.
chart
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby perchie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:33 am

Very clear! thanks - look forward to seeing it on the bank and in action!
Monklands CAC
"It is cold in their shadow!"
perchie
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Barryl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:52 pm

is the weight and size of your float important :?:
Barryl
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby GG » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 am

Ola Senor Barry,

As with most types of fishing the standard answer is that the float should be big enough to cast comfortably and the bulk down the line big enough to give enough stability, and in the slider case, settle quickly enough without lots of mucking about.

So for the main loch I have been using Bryan Hewitt's floats marked 3.5 grams. The bulk tends to be 3 to 4 AAA. This is still relatively light for a slider. On big waters with wind and tow 4 to 6 SSG bulk is common. I always like some weight in the base of the float. This is to ensure that the float and the bulk stay together as you cast, until the float hits the water (helps to avoid tangles).

Kaiser though is convinced that a very light float is better for seeing and hitting bites from roach. He may well be right, but I'm not convinced by the amount of thrashing he has to do to cast and whether settling is efficient enough for me. Also, I want to catch skimmers and carp on the slider ... not roach :) I'm trying to think of matches Kaiser has won on the slider catching roach ....

.......... Still thinking ;)
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Barryl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm

miaow..........
Barryl
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Leamed Up » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Ahhhh slider fishing...a close second to lots of slimy skimmers on the pole...magic!!! Could be perfect for it come Sunday!
Leamed Up
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby rocketFeeder » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:03 pm

I do a fair bif of slider fishing for Roach in the Lake District, mainly at anything from 20 - 45yds (any further and I can't see the float :roll: ). I know that the last World Champs involved long distance slider fishing, what sliders are best for this :?: I've (hopefully) got some of those Dino Wagglers and Reckords coming which I think were used in the WC, what do you guys use currently? As for the tapered leaders, when I was a trout angler these transformed casting and presentation when fly fishing, never thought about using them for coarse angling though :doh!:
rocketFeeder
2lb Bream
2lb Bream

Postby martin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:10 pm

I don't know very much about fly fishing (or coarse fishing for that matter) so what would you suggest in way of Fly leader to start making up rigs George?

What would I ask for if I was buying a fly leader as I know they come in different weights and sink at different rates.
martin
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby GG » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:59 pm

martin wrote:What would I ask for if I was buying a fly leader as I know they come in different weights and sink at different rates.

Hi Martin, maybe you are thinking of fly lines rather than leaders ... tapered leaders are pretty simple tapered mono and the only real variation is the thickness (breaking strain) of the point.

The easy solution is to go for the one's Ronnie has in the shop ;) But really any of them that have around a 3lb BS tip will do. :)
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby martin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks George, Told you I didn't know much about fishing !!!

I will have a look round the shop next time I am up there.
martin
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Carptain Fantastic » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:58 am

i didnt know much about slider fishing but now i do
thank you :D :D
Carptain Fantastic
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby Marti-P » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Great idea there guys....Brilliant :clap :D
I'm not biting
Marti-P
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby GG » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:47 pm

the original marti wrote:Great idea there guys....Brilliant :clap :D

A Ronnie MacLeod world original idea... genius, but then he would say that. :D :D
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bryanh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:01 pm

With the mercury forecast to plummet to minus2 on Saturday night, it's anyones guess what depth the fish will be in Sunday's sweep so the slider might just be the method to locate them.
bryanh
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby andy prentice » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Just dusted down my slider rig Ronnie made me a while back,shame not to use it on Sunday :D :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby chart » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 pm

:thumb :dance
magi till a die.
chart
3lb F1
3lb F1

Next

Return to Instructional Videos, Articles and Topics